Temporary Land Cruiser?

Skidaddl

đź“› Founding Member
Sep 7, 2023
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was talking to my dealer rep a few days ago, and he mentioned the rumour circulating is that the LC may only be available for a year or 2, then will be discontinued in favour of the 4Runner (and Sequoia). While that sounds a bit bizarre, it would certainly explain the confusion around where the 4runner falls in terms of overlap with the LC. This is in Canada, so perhaps those rumours apply only here (though rumours are just that, rumours), but we DID have the LC discontinued on us here around 30 years ago.

Is anyone else hearing this?

I was talking to my dealer rep a few days ago, and he mentioned the rumour circulating is that the LC may only be available for a year or 2, then will be discontinued in favour of the 4Runner (and Sequoia). While that sounds a bit bizarre, it would certainly explain the confusion around where the 4runner falls in terms of overlap with the LC. This is in Canada, so perhaps those rumours apply only here (though rumours are just that, rumours), but we DID have the LC discontinued on us here around 30 years ago.

Some variant of this rumor could be possible. The reason I say this is, look at the Overtrail trim variants of the GX550. Really strange the LC is not also offered with off-roading specific Trailhunter models.

Well it appears it may not even show up at all at this rate as it still isn’t available on the Toyota Canada site.
Interesting.

I can’t imagine that and I’ll take that bet.

Too much $ to introduce and then cancel. Let alone once again killing off the heritage nameplate. Really really doubt it.

Not sure what the 4Runner will be but I’m sure it’s evolved based on the Bronco’s success and will echo a lot from the new Tacoma. Pricing will probably start lower than the LC but they’ll be crossover. Big question is how they’ll differentiate between the two models.

Im also interested to see the trim level differences between them. I originally thought we’d see a TH version of the LC (after the FE) but maybe they’ll save that for the 4Runner?

Im also interested to see the trim level differences between them. I originally thought we’d see a TH version of the LC (after the FE) but maybe they’ll save that for the 4Runner?
This is my suspicion. Presently, a hard-core off-roader needs to consider the GX Overtrail with the E-KDSS, disconnecting both front and rear sway bars. The tests have been impressive.

It’ll be interesting to see how they manage the pair for sure. I hadn’t heard that rumor, & certainly hadn’t thought of questioning why there aren’t more LC variants. Maybe those come in the future? I figured their game plan though for differentiation would be to price the 4Runner lower (the price for the LC is pretty premium) with some overlap at the high/low ends. Perhaps by moving production to Mexico? & leaving the more premium priced LC in Japan? Different styling of course & perhaps even a different target market or at least age group?

Nobody else competes in this space (I’m not expecting a removable roof 4Runner but who knows), so long as they think they can get more conquest sales than one taking away sales of the other it’s probably more than a profitable venture for them to grow the market. Look at how many crossovers they have (Highlander/GrandHighlander for example). Yet there’s still nothing but a waiting list for any toyota here you may want.

I trust dealers about as much as other players at a poker table, which is to say not at all. If they can start a rumor to drum up perceived scarcity or a limited run, they’ll do it. If the Land Cruiser sells 30k a year it’ll stick around- I imagine it’s a high margin model for Toyota.

I still don't get this thing about the LC Mini, and yet have the 4 runner. Seems like a lot in that category. but then again, they have Rav4, highlander, grand highlander and Sequoia all in the same grouping. Something for everyone I suspect.

I call BS on the LC only being around for a couple years (in the US, at least). Toyota got a lot of negative feedback when the LC was dropped a few years back. I saw a video a while back where a Toyota exec was saying the LC and 4Runner BOTH had a spot in the lineup. Toyota believes that the 4Runner will appeal more to the younger folks, and the LC will appeal more to middle age & older folks. Obviously, there will be crossover throughout the age groups, but it seemed like Toyota execs seemed to think that sales would be strong for BOTH 4Runners and Land Cruisers. I think there will be quite a bit of price crossover, based on 2024 Tacoma pricing and LC pricing. A loaded 4Runner TRD Pro with the iForce MAX will probably come in at $65 to $70k MSRP, just like it looks like the Tacoma TRD Pro and Trailhunter should end up in that $65-70k MSRP range (probably all of them actually closer to $70k).

Back