Panoramic roof and 3rd row

pray2crom

📛 Founding Member
Apr 1, 2024
USA
Vehicles
2017 Toyota Tacoma Limited, 2022 Tesla Model Y
Why are the good folks across the pond get available option for Panoramic roof and 3rd row seating but not so in the US? Why is Toyota making me choose a lexus GX550 over a LC? Might the north American market get those options later for model year 2025?

Because Diesel is not an option anymore in US.
But.... you could probably get the GX550 at a lower price than the LC 250 over the pond :cool:

Because the US Government knows what's best for us

I would love the opening Panoramic roof. No reason we can't have that. North America only has the Hybrid which eliminates the third row capability because of the battery. I don't like the Electrochromic roof on the GX because it does not open.

okay i get US being dictated by california emissions so no room for 3rd row because of battery. but why no panoramic roof? my guess US market off-roads more and large glass panel can break because of stress and tension from rock crawling? still don’t make sense though…

Because it creates a larger hole in which CO2 from farts can escape which kills baby sea turtles. That's far to much responsibility for the average subject....err citizen.

Because it creates a larger hole in which CO2 from farts can escape which kills baby sea turtles. That's far too much responsibility for the average subject....err citizen.
A lot of thought went into that reply! 👏😅

okay i get US being dictated by california emissions so no room for 3rd row because of battery. but why no panoramic roof? my guess US market off-roads more and large glass panel can break because of stress and tension from rock crawling? still don’t make sense though…
Shouldn't you be buying a Ford?

would rather drive something that lasts. but is a pano roof that badly frowned upon?
Its complaining about the California emission rules and hybrid technology that got me. If the LC had 3 rows of seats and got 14 mpg with an IC engine I would be sticking with my FJ. I would prefer a plug-in hybrid but not a dealbreaker for me with the LC. Still not ready to give up petrol...yet. Hoping the 2026 MR2 is at least a plugin if not a full EV.

I’m hopeful 2025 brings more trim levels and a pano roof. Watching the Carwow review of the LC250 (UK) it shows how much nicer the pano roof is over the US moonroof, especially on dark interiors. The 3rd row seats are also slick and would be very much welcome. Sadly with the hybrid powertrain we get a hump in the back that not only eliminates a third row but looks like it will also hinder how easily cargo loading will be. I’m lead to believe Toyota’s goal in the US is more to compete with Jeeps and Bronco’s and less with what the LC200 used to represent for the US market - more focus on off-roading and family fun and less on luxury (buy a Sequoia for a large family) . And I get it, the LC200 dinosaur was never a big seller here. But doesn’t the 4Runner offer a pano roof?

My feel is offer your base model 1958 to keep prices low and compete with Jeep and Bronco, but if you’re going to sell a well optioned LC or First Editon trim for around $80k, a sunroof isn’t going to cut it. Like many, between the 3 row seating, pano and engine choices, I feel like I’m being pushed to a GX that I don’t really care for. And at that price point, I have many other options.

But I’m still hopeful a TRD-inspired V6 trim level would make sense. Add pano and 3 seats without the rear battery, Solar Octane paint and you got a real winner!

I'm hoping that the 2025 4Runner has the Pano roof. Also that it keeps the sliding rear window.

Back