Local Dealer Taking “Factory Orders “

Cheeseburger

📛 Founding Member
Mar 6, 2024
PNW
Vehicles
Skateboard
Just got an email from my local saying that they can order up an LC build from the factory for $500 (non refundable 😵‍💫). This is some smarmy BS, right? Toyota hasn’t moved away from an allocation model have they?

Attachments

• IMG_8411.jpeg
    IMG_8411.jpeg
    668.8 KB · Views: 86
In USA they have not, dealer use the term "order" just to avoid having to explain the entire allocation mechanism.
To the end user, the net result is the same, give dealer the money and they get you the car you want.

In USA they have not, dealer use the term "order" just to avoid having to explain the entire allocation mechanism.
To the end user, the net result is the same, give dealer the money and they get you the car you want.
Thanks!

I circled back with the dealer over the phone today and she doubled-down on the build order line. When I told her that I knew Toyota hasn’t done build orders in years and showed that I understood allocations, she stammered a bit and told me that - well actually - Toyota determines allocutions based on dealer deposits and then tried to change the subject.

I don’t mind putting down a good-faith deposit on a nebulous allocation if it’s refundable (I already have two out there). For a non-refundable deposit, I’d expect a VIN, a factory build sheet, or at least a timeline. Obviously the dealer can’t offer any of that. Regardless, I can’t give my money to folks who play fast and loose with the truth.

Thanks!

I circled back with the dealer over the phone today and she doubled-down on the build order line. When I told her that I knew Toyota hasn’t done build orders in years and showed that I understood allocations, she stammered a bit and told me that - well actually - Toyota determines allocutions based on dealer deposits and then tried to change the subject.

I don’t mind putting down a good-faith deposit on a nebulous allocation if it’s refundable (I already have two out there). For a non-refundable deposit, I’d expect a VIN, a factory build sheet, or at least a timeline. Obviously the dealer can’t offer any of that. Regardless, I can’t give my money to folks who play fast and loose with the truth.
Some people can't admit any wrong and not taking it too well when called out.
But there's some degree of truth to the claim. A dealership can request the install or exclusion of port installed options, such as side steps, PPF, phone chargers etc. The port, aka regional distributor can honor the request or ignore it.

I was able to get a completely clean Tacoma back in 2019, 0 port add, not even the carpet mats from Gulf States Toyota (GST).
But seems like the distributors got greedy and too comfortable during the pandemic shortage, GTS has been slapping all kinds of BS adds on everything they can think of, $500 for some hood paint film, $300 for some paint protection paste, $500 for a crappy dashcam that has no cloud connectivity, it's disgusting and they add about at least $2k, and that's part of the Monroney MSRP.

Looks like there aren't many port installed options on the FE so fingers crossed it's not jacked up too much by the distributor.

Local dealer taking a $500 non-refundable deposit to “order” a LC trim at MSRP, stating they’ll secure my spec’d LC trim within 3-6 mo.

Chances I’ll find something at MSRP elsewhere first? Seems a little sus they think a deposit will source a Land Cruiser any sooner with Toyota. Assuming Toyota won’t allocate additional vehicles to a dealer just because they collected a bunch of deposits.

I’m on the list with a couple of other dealers who won’t accept a deposit until they have a VIN.

We must be talking to the same dealership, lol (Heartland in Bremerton, WA). I skipped their offer. I’m also in the market for a Highlander, but they won’t be getting my business for either vehicle. Smarmy vibes and high-pressure tactics every time I’ve been in there. I’m usually pretty easy going, but I have zero tolerance for car dealer BS. Kinda sucks because they’re my local. I try to support local businesses but I won’t even go there for maintenance if I can help it.

We must be talking to the same dealership, lol (Heartland in Bremerton, WA). I skipped their offer. I’m also in the market for a Highlander, but they won’t be getting my business for either vehicle. Smarmy vibes and high-pressure tactics every time I’ve been in there. I’m usually pretty easy going, but I have zero tolerance for car dealer BS. Kinda sucks because they’re my local. I try to support local businesses but I won’t even go there for maintenance if I can help it.
Haha man you hit the nail on the head! I’ll keep watching but I’m in no rush to pay them a deposit for 0 benefit.

Back