Introduction - Tom W.

TW911

πŸ“› Founding Member
Jan 21, 2024
Manitou Springs, CO
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Toyota Venza, Mercedes Sprinter
Hi everybody,

I'm a resently retired engineer. I used to own a Tacoma and really enjoyed it. I'm currently driving a Lexus RX450h, which is a nice car, but I'm missing the off-road capability. I live in Colorado and really enjoy getting out camping, hiking and mountain biking. So that's why I'm interested in the new Land Cruiser.

Tom W.

Hello Tom, and welcome to the forum! I am sort of in the same boat as you, with a Highlander Platinum Hybrid. Not exactly an off-roading machine either. I am looking at both the Land Cruiser, and the sibling Lexus GX550. A GX550h has been promised, but availability date unknown. The GX550 is in production at the Tahara plant, so hope to have one before summer. Also, at the top of the queue for an LC, whichever occurs first, but who knows when they will start making them? I suspect there are production issues with the hybrids.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @TW911 - What do you think of the motor in the RX450h? Have you considered the GX550?

Welcome to the forum @TW911 - What do you think of the motor in the RX450h? Have you considered the GX550?
The engine in the RX450h is pretty good. It's responsive, and the milage is reasonable, about 25-28mpg, but the CVT makes it a little "spongy" or soft in response. It's not a sports car so it's fine for what it is.

The GX550 sounds good, especially the turbo V6. However I hate to spend too much on an off-road vehicle, that's going to be hauling gear, dogs, and getting scratched up from brush. I had a pricey Porsche 911 Turbo and I took very good care of it. Always in top shape, waxed, clean, and I had a ton of fun in it, even sold it for more than I paid. However an off-road vehicle is a different beast. It's going to get used and show wear. Maybe I'm just cheap... I should probably looks at it as the price of having fun and getting outdoors. I'll have it a long time so the extra depreciation due to outdoor use won't be that much. I'm slowly trying to talk myself into it.

Are you considering the GX550?

Are you considering the GX550?

Absolutely. Shortly after the announcement, I got on the waiting list with a $1000 deposit at a local dealership. I'm currently torn between the GX550 and the new Land Cruiser, as I really like the style of both. Ultimately, it might just boil down to whatever vehicle arrives at the dealership first!

Absolutely. Shortly after the announcement, I got on the waiting list with a $1000 deposit at a local dealership. I'm currently torn between the GX550 and the new Land Cruiser, as I really like the style of both. Ultimately, it might just boil down to whatever vehicle arrives at the dealership first!
you'd think bc the GX550 configurator is on the LEXUS website, that they're closer to dealerships but what comes first? EARLY 2024 or SPRING 2024? lol

you'd think bc the GX550 configurator is on the LEXUS website, that they're closer to dealerships but what comes first? EARLY 2024 or SPRING 2024? lol

One would expect that, yet it really comes down to the dealer's allocation for each specific trim. I've put my name down for a premium plus.

My thought exactly. I'm interested in the Iforce Max Hybrid, which Will apparently be on the GX550h, the US Land Cruiser, and the 6th Gen 4Runner. Yet, despite two of these having been announced 6 months ago, I find myself wondering whether it's possible the 6th Gen 4runner may be available to me sooner. I'm on waitlists for the Land Cruiser & GX, and am placing a deposit for the 4Runner. What I end up doing might just depend on allocations/waitlist lengths. I'll be first on the 4Runner list.

Back