*HANDS ON* The Refreshed 2024 J70 Land Cruiser proves OLD is NEW and Better than ever.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
📛 Founding Member
Jul 8, 2023

The LandCruiser 70 series is reborn for the Japanese market. Is it coming to North America too!?

The 70 Series is making its return to Japan as a regular model in the range, offering original features that have evolved with the times.
2.8-liter diesel engine and 6-speed automatic transmission to deliver strong driving performance and excellent fuel economy
Instead of the traditional gasoline-powered engine, the new 70 Series comes with an updated 2.8-liter 1GD turbo diesel engine powertrain that boasts outstanding reliability. It delivers the tough off-road performance only available from a high-torque, high-output diesel engine, while achieving a low-noise, quiet ride and improved fuel economy.
Original ladder frame for high durability and reliability, with improved on-road comfort while maintaining outstanding off-road driving performance
Prototype specifications
Length 4,890 mm; Width 1,870 mm; Height 1,920 mm; Wheelbase 2,730 mm
Engine 1GD-FTV Diesel 2.8-liter turbo (Maximum output 150 kW (204 PS) Maximum torque 500 Nï½¥m)
Transmission 6 Super ECT

This is cool nostalgia, but I didn’t love my 1984 Toyota pick-up truck. This is a 1980s truck design and truth be told it’s not great. The body is not robust and will fold up in a crash. The shocker with the 2024 70 series is the pricing; it appears to be similar to the 2024 J250. I don’t think I would buy a 70 series at any price.

"2022: Ongoing modifications have brought the 70 series abreast of ratcheting safety and environmental regulation. The 2022 model for Australia meets Euro 5 emissions standards, while accommodating front and side airbags (a significant task given the rigid ladder frame) and frame strengthening to meet side impact requirements. The Land Cruiser 76 wagon was reintroduced earlier taking advantage of these safety improvements, in early 2021 it accounted for more than half of 70 series Australian private sales."

If the chassis had a problem Toyota would not continue to built it unmodified for 40 years.

The 70 series is not available in my country even if I wanted to buy one, so I haven’t collected any objective information to report. My assertions are anecdotal and based on my previous Toyota truck ownership experience as well as audible/visual information gained from 2024 70 series video reviews. Peer reviews are important in social media to preserve credibility. I’m sure the 70 series has seen many improvements and meets all safety regulations, but it’s still a 1980s core design.

I did not know about the 2.8 Diesel on this car, with EURO 5 certification! Interesting to follow.... if they will sell it in Europe. Toyota has no competition on J70.
So far J70 was never available from Toyota in my country, but there is a small company selling it. With some expensive modifications in Germany they are able to register it.

I did not know about the 2.8 Diesel on this car, with EURO 5 certification! Interesting to follow.... if they will sell it in Europe. Toyota has no competition on J70.
So far J70 was never available from Toyota in my country, but there is a small company selling it. With some expensive modifications in Germany they are able to register it.
I've seen some reports the V8 diesel is naturally aspirated. Interesting to observe for me, however the state of California would forbid me from ever owning such a vehicle here in the USA.:)

Back