2024 Toyota Land Cruiser vs 2024 Lexus GX550

Great review Jayhawk78. Really appreciate your opinion. Have abandoned the pursuit of a GX, as the dealer is DISTANT. So, going for a LC trim with the Premium package. Also, I envision the LC holding its value better than the GX. Opinion?
I would guess the LC holds its value better than the GX, seems like after 3 years or so the luxury brand premium fades away and you end up at the same point. I would think the two are about the same value in 3 years.

Historically the LC held value much better than the LX to the point used LX trades below LC w same year and miles. I don't think that will be true this time, V6 and 3rd row seats are real positives for the GX.

Just now seeing this thread. I made this chart for mud to compare the vehicles. Maybe some will find it useful.

1000005660.jpg

He’s got some good info, but he’s very GX/Lexus biased too. He doesn’t actually say why he thinks the e-Kdss is better or why it actually is. It does the same thing as the sdm in the front. There is no benefit off road at all, nor on road from what I can tell. Perhaps the e-kdss is more robust in terms of how big of a sway bar it can handle but other than that. Just because it’s a more complex system, doesn’t make it better. Realistically it’s just something more expensive to break or have to fix sometime during the lifetime of the car.

And reading on the rearend side of things, I’m not convinced the rearend being disconnected is necessary or even an improvement. If you have a large rear sway bar maybe, but if not then, not likely. Brb I’ll find the nifty video I watched on a disconnected rear bar.
Yah I’ve seen this guys vids but honestly he has a lot of misinformed opinions regarding airing down tire pressure to off roading facts. I don’t mind that he’s Lexus fanboy but some of the stuff he says makes no sense at all. I’d take his opions with a grain of salt.

From a armchair/shade tree mechanic's view, the V6 may be a smooth engine, but I fear it may be lacking in serviceability, especially the twin turbos.
Yah I’ve seen this guys vids but honestly he has a lot of misinformed opinions regarding airing down tire pressure to off roading facts. I don’t mind that he’s Lexus fanboy but some of the stuff he says makes no sense at all. I’d take his opinions with a grain of salt.
Agreed, he is making money as a social media influencer, if that is what they are called, but some of his opinions are "out there", WAY out there...

I would guess the LC holds its value better than the GX, seems like after 3 years or so the luxury brand premium fades away and you end up at the same point. I would think the two are about the same value in 3 years.

Historically the LC held value much better than the LX to the point used LX trades below LC w same year and miles. I don't think that will be true this time, V6 and 3rd row seats are real positives for the GX.
I saw a dimension sheet comparing LC and GX the GX was 4 inches overall length longer ?

I've bounced back and forth on the GX vs LC question but keep coming back to the LC. It's not a slam dunk...more like a 60-40 in favor of LC. Why?
  • The nearest Lexus dealership is 200 miles away - if one was nearby it'd be 50-50 despite the below-listed reasons
  • The Lexus Overtrail is beyond my price "tipping point"...I can't spend $70k+ on a "toy" for me
  • I prefer the V6 over the 4-cylinder but MPG is miserable
  • I do a lot of off-roading and often leave my vehicle unattended for several hours is I'd be more nervous about damage/theft with the Lexus sitting out in the boondocks hours away from civilization
  • My desert playground are dusty and dirty. I don't think I'd be comfortable getting the Lexus that filthy
  • I prefer LC's "rough and ready" heritage over Lexus' premium/luxury image
  • The Lexus has too many bells and whistles for me...give me a straight up LC with no additional features, leaving me more mod options later (if I can still hike and bike into my 80's)
  • Lexus "GX" just doesn''t speak to me like "Land Cruiser"

Last edited:
Just drove a GX550 and it felt... lumbering. The V6 was surprisingly slow to respond and felt mushy. Still going to try a Land Cruiser but if the driving feel really is the same between the two as the video states, then might sit this one out

Back