2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado A Diesel Mild Hybrid Beast

Tallmadge41

📛 Founding Member
Aug 18, 2023
Michigan
Vehicles
XC90
Volkswagen ruined forever the ability for the US to have the opportunity to experience Diesel power….. . There is no substitute!

Agreed, the diesel Prado will be a proper Land Cruiser. However, the diesel hybrid appears somewhat redundant according to Mike’s explanation. Mike Sweers from Toyota explains the diesel conundrum for us here in the USA.

I don't know how much the Mild hybrid system will increase efficiency but.... it will be a big deal in terms of taxes for many countries in Europe.

In my case a Diesel non-hybrid LC250 means $500/year tax. The Diesel Mild Hybrid LC250 will be $25 🤕 95% rebate for any type of Hybrid. :rolleyes:

My 2021 Wrangler has a diesel motor in it and I love it... torque galore and good fuel mileage!

I was excited to see a diesel Wrangler, however I wasn't sure about VM Motri; I heard of a few reports of overheating problems and that was the end of my interest..

I was excited to see a diesel Wrangler, however I wasn't sure about VM Motri; I heard of a few reports of overheating problems and that was the end of my interest..

Is that who makes the motor? I've never had an issue with mine... well, the dealership left the oil cap off one time and it sprayed oil all over the engine bay. But that's not the motor's fault.

I don't know how much the Mild hybrid system will increase efficiency but.... it will be a big deal in terms of taxes for many countries in Europe.

In my case a Diesel non-hybrid LC250 means $500/year tax. The Diesel Mild Hybrid LC250 will be $25 🤕 95% rebate for any type of Hybrid. :rolleyes:
Wow! I can see a similar tax here in the USA to expedite electric vehicle adoption. I'm planning to keep my LC250 for 20 years.

I was checking the overheating issue and found this comment made in 2021.

"I bought and have been driving my 2.5td VM for the past 12 + years. Put 100 000 on it. Towing a trailer long distance. Cape town to Windhoek Namibia. 1500km one way. Trailer weight 700 to 1500 kg trailer.
Reliability changes. Turbo upgrade to delete turbo lag after 3000 rpm. Dana 44 HD rear diff, mechanic messed up my Dana 35 limited slip with wrong oil. Opening the front bumper for better airflow over intercooler. 63mm downpipe and freeflow. 7000km service intervals 30 000 km cooling system flush. Don't drive at 3000 plus RPMs for long periods. Really capable on and off road. When not towing drove at 140km/h over long distance.

Reliability of the 2.5td VM. Is directly related to good maintenance. Check the radiator, upgrade to 3 core or 4 core. Replace 45mm exhaust with 63mm Egt temp will be much lower. Do regular oil change. Do I dare add I drive my 2.5td VM on vegoil.

My recommendation is do research on the engine from a reputable source and fix the shortcomings of the exhaust and cooling system. Compaired to a Isuzu 300 kB td. The 2.5vm has better performance. 280nm for the 300td. Vs 300nm for the VM. The 2.5td VM was very reliably used in marine applications ( unlimited cooling?) with great success, he.nce the boat anchor jokes.

If you want the reliability of a.land cruiser.4.2.diesel. than detune the engine to 280 nm with worse fuel economy or buy the cruiser for 8 times the price.

The jeep xj 2.5td can be a a reliable vehicle if maintained and not abused."

I was checking the overheating issue and found this comment made in 2021.

"I bought and have been driving my 2.5td VM for the past 12 + years. Put 100 000 on it. Towing a trailer long distance. Cape town to Windhoek Namibia. 1500km one way. Trailer weight 700 to 1500 kg trailer.
Reliability changes. Turbo upgrade to delete turbo lag after 3000 rpm. Dana 44 HD rear diff, mechanic messed up my Dana 35 limited slip with wrong oil. Opening the front bumper for better airflow over intercooler. 63mm downpipe and freeflow. 7000km service intervals 30 000 km cooling system flush. Don't drive at 3000 plus RPMs for long periods. Really capable on and off road. When not towing drove at 140km/h over long distance.

Reliability of the 2.5td VM. Is directly related to good maintenance. Check the radiator, upgrade to 3 core or 4 core. Replace 45mm exhaust with 63mm Egt temp will be much lower. Do regular oil change. Do I dare add I drive my 2.5td VM on vegoil.

My recommendation is do research on the engine from a reputable source and fix the shortcomings of the exhaust and cooling system. Compaired to a Isuzu 300 kB td. The 2.5vm has better performance. 280nm for the 300td. Vs 300nm for the VM. The 2.5td VM was very reliably used in marine applications ( unlimited cooling?) with great success, he.nce the boat anchor jokes.

If you want the reliability of a.land cruiser.4.2.diesel. than detune the engine to 280 nm with worse fuel economy or buy the cruiser for 8 times the price.

The jeep xj 2.5td can be a a reliable vehicle if maintained and not abused."
My 2000 Jeep TJ was made to order for me in Toledo, Ohio; it has been reliable and very easy to maintain for 23 years. It still drives like new and looks great. My confidence in the new owners of the Jeep brand is not great.

The gentleman with the XJ 2,5td has been driving his Jeep for long time and he is happy with it, same as you. I trust you both. :cool:

Back